Unfortunately, long working sessions at the desk are a necessary evil for architects and designers. While there is no shortage of research coming out about the health risks of extended sitting, there is a new movement in the design of the desk that is enabling people to stand while they work. Authority Nutrition has a great short article on the 7 Science-Based Benefits of a Standing Desk. Below is a brief summation of their list of benefits.
- Standing lowers your risk of weight gain and obesity
- Using a standing desk may lower your blood sugar levels
- Standing may lower your risk of Heart Disease
- Standing desks appear to reduce back pain
- Standing desks help improve mood and energy levels
- Standing desks may boost productivity
- Standing desks may help you live longer
Reading this information inspired us to hunt down the following variety of sit/stand options for our collection.